Skip to main content

Frequently Asked Questions

Where is the Teacher Education Building?

See Map.

Do I have to take a test to be a teacher?

Students pursuing a Hawaii teacher license must pass the Praxis® Subject Assessments test for their specific licensure area. These tests measure general and subject-specific content knowledge that you need for beginning teaching. For international students, these tests are usually not required.

When are PRAXIS tests offered?

Schedules and other information are available from the ETS Praxis website. Several of the tests are offered at the BYU–Hawaii Testing Center.

How does a person get a teacher's license?

The BYU–Hawaii Teacher Education Program prepares student for licensing within the state of Hawaii. Once obtained, this license can be transferred to most US States and Territories.