Application to the Major
All students desiring to major in social work at BYU–Hawaii must complete the necessary scholastic prerequisites, which are:
- Final grade of C+ or better in SOCW 160 (Introduction to Social Welfare and Work).
- Cumulative GPA of 2.50 or better.
- Completion of the online Social Work Major Application.
Note: You must be a first-semester sophomore and have at least 24 credit hours completed.
Students who have not met the above requirements will not be able to register for 300 or 400 level classes. Students must apply to the major by the application deadlines below:
- Spring Entrance – March 1st
- Fall Entrance – June 1st
- Winter Entrance – November 1st
Please note – while life experiences or previous work experience may enhance a student’s social work knowledge and skills, social work course credit is not granted for these experiences.