Application to the Major
All students desiring to major in social work at BYU–Hawaii must complete the necessary scholastic prerequisites, which are:
- Final grade of C+ or better in social work 160 (Social Welfare).
- Cumulative GPA of 2.50 or better.
- Completion of the application packet which should include the following:
- Completed and signed application form.
- Signed Standards form.
- Personal autobiography (2-3 page minimum).
- One letter of recommendation.
- A copy of your complete advisor.
- Approved MAP.
Note: You must be a first-semester sophomore and have at least 30 credit hours completed.
Students who have not met the above requirements will not be able to register for 300 or 400 level classes. Students must apply to the major by the application deadlines below:
- Winter Semester Entrance -- First Friday in November.
- Spring Semester Entrance -- First Friday in March.
- Fall Semester Entrance -- First Friday in June.
Please note – While life experiences or previous work experience may enhance a student’s social work knowledge and skills, social work course credit is not granted for these experiences.