About the Teacher Education Program
Recognizing the unique mission of Brigham Young University–Hawaii, teacher education programs quality teachers with the content knowledge, pedagogical skills, and professional dispositions required to meet the needs of students in today's diverse and changing society by teaching and modeling:
- life-long learning and problem-solving abilities.
- best current educational practices, balanced with gospel principles.
- caring, compassionate, and collaborative service in the home, school, church, and community, both locally and internationally.
Teacher education programs include a Bachelor's degree in Elementary Education and several content areas for Secondary Education. We also offer a post-baccalaureate teacher licensing program, which is available to qualified individuals and based on space availability. A Minor in Education is also available.
Elementary and Secondary Education teaching licenses are issued in Hawaii by the Hawaii Teacher Standards Board (HTSB) to candidates who:
- receive a recommendation from Brigham Young University–Hawaii after successful completion of a state-approved Teacher Education Program and
- successfully complete licensing requirements for the State of Hawaii.
Teacher education programs at BYUH are fully accredited by The Association for Advancing Quality in Educator Preparation (AAQEP), valid June 2020 - June 2027.
Additionally, teacher education programs are reviewed by the Hawaii Teacher Standards Board (HTSB).