Skip to main content

Post Baccalaureate Licensure Option

Hawaii residents with an earned baccalaureate degree from a regionally accredited institution of higher education who desire to teach in the public schools, but do not have an initial teacher license, may apply for admission to the Relevant licensing track in Elementary or Secondary Ed. Once admitted, the individual must complete the requirements as outlined for the chosen teacher licensing program. Not all applicants are accepted.

Prerequisites for Admission
Teacher Licensing: Hawaii
Info: Teacher Licensing in other US States
Info: Teacher Licensing in other countries (Asia & Pacific)
  • Bachelor's degree from an accredited institution.
    • Grade point average of 2.5 or higher
    • No D's or F's on the transcript.
  • Praxis II: Content Test with a passing score.
  • A completed Teacher Education admissions packet.
  • Application for admission into BYUH on file with the Admissions office

Leave of absences are not permitted in the post-baccalaureate licensure program. Students who discontinue will be required to reapply for admission.

Issuance of a teaching certificate or license is the responsibility of each state or country, not the Teacher Education Program. Finding, understanding, and meeting the requirements for licensure are the sole responsibility of each student. Currently, the Hawaii Teacher Standards Board (HTSB) requirements that must be met prior to issuance of a Hawaii teaching license to U.S. students include:

  1. Recommendation from an accredited Teacher Education Program (see "Note" below).
  2. A completed application for a teacher license (an application form may be obtained online at ).
  3. Passing scores (which are set by the HTSB) on all required Praxis exams (see Academic Advisor for current information).

Note: In Hawaii, the Teacher Education Program notifies the HTSB, in writing, of all students being "recommended" for teacher licensure. This recommendation is sent once a month as determined by the respective department chair and faculty of the teacher education program (elementary, secondary, special education), with final approval by the program director of the Teacher Education Program.

The decision to "recommend" is based upon the successful completion of all requirements for graduation from the institution and the successful completion of all performance expectations during the professional field experiences. Completion of requirements for graduation from the university does not automatically guarantee that a student will be recommended for a teaching license by the Teacher Education Program.

Upon "recommendation" by the institution and successful completion of the state's requirements, the individual is issued a teaching license by the state, which is required in order to be employed as a public school teacher. This license is transportable to 39 other U.S. states because of reciprocity agreements between these states. The remaining states have their own unique requirements.

It is the responsibility of each student who plans to teach in another state or country to enquire early in their program about the teacher licensing requirements in that country and arrange to meet these additional requirements (see an academic advisor for information).

Teacher licensing within the United States is regulated by state government agencies. Each state maintains its own requirements for both initial teacher licensing as well as the transfer of a teacher license from one state to another. Please reference the list below for information on teacher licensing within individual states. Because requirements can change, it is important to check with the individual licensure state agency.

States Dept. of Education Licensing
Alabama AL Alabama
Alaska AK Alaska
American Samoa AS American Samoa (N/A)
Arizona AZ Arizona
Arkansas AR Arkansas
California CA California
Colorado CO Colorado
Connecticut CT Connecticut
Delaware DE Delaware
District of Columbia DC District of Columbia
Florida FL Florida
Georgia GA Georgia
Guam GU Guam (N/A)
Hawaii HI Hawaii
Idaho ID Idaho
Illinois IL Illinois
Indiana IN Indiana
Iowa IA Iowa
Kansas KS Kansas
Kentucky KY Kentucky
Louisiana LA Louisiana
Maine ME Maine
Maryland MD Maryland
Massachusetts MA Massachusetts
Michigan MI Michigan
Minnesota MN Minnesota
Mississippi MS Mississippi
Missouri MO Missouri
Montana MT Montana
Nebraska NE Nebraska
Nevada NV Nevada
New Hampshire NH New Hampshire
New Jersey NJ New Jersey
New Mexico NM New Mexico
New York NY New York
North Carolina NC North Carolina
North Dakota ND North Dakota
Northern Marianas Islands MP Northern Marianas Islands (N/A)
Ohio OH Ohio
Oklahoma OK Oklahoma
Oregon OR Oregon
Pennsylvania PA Pennsylvania
Puerto Rico PR Puerto Rico (N/A)
Rhode Island RI Rhode Island
South Carolina SC South Carolina
South Dakota SD South Dakota
Tennessee TN Tennessee
Texas TX Texas
Utah UT Utah
Vermont VT Vermont
Virginia VA Virginia
US Virgin Islands VI Virgin Islands
Washington WA Washington
West Virginia WV West Virginia
Wisconsin WI Wisconsin
Wyoming WY Wyoming

Licensing for countries outside the United States is regulated by national and local government agencies. Please reference the list below for information on teacher licensing, certification and registration for countries outside the United State. Neither the Brigham Young University–Hawaii Teacher Education Program nor the Hawaii Teacher Standards Board license teachers internationally.

Country Department of Education
Australia Australia DOE
China Ministry of Education of the People's Republic of China
Fiji Fiji Ministry of Education, Heritage and Arts
Hong Kong HK Education Bureau
Indonesia Indonesia DOE
Japan Japan DOE
Kiribati Kiribati Ministry of Education
Malaysia Malaysia DOE
Mongolia Mongolia Ministry of Education, Culture, Sciences, and Sports
New Zealand New Zealand DOE
Philipines Philipines DOE
Samoa Samoa Ministry of Education, Sports, and Culture
American Samoa American Samoa Department of Education
Singapore Singapore DOE
South Korea South Korean Ministry of Education
Taiwan Taiwan DOE
Thailand Thailand DOE
Tonga Tonga Ministry of Education and Training